Wanted to experiment more with using type as image so have been experimenting with using the filters on photoshop. Been blurring the type and I think it gives a really good effect, because you can set it at different amounts of blur I can increase it for the technologies that are more luminous and decrease it for those that aren’t. I have also bitmapped theses using various settings and I think these are effective. They would work well screen printed because the bitmap would give the effect of light dispersion from a bulb.
Rhizome graphs are something else that I have been researching. They document relationships between things and as I have noticed when researching the technologies a lot of them are connected in some way so I think that this style would work quite well at documenting the relationships.
I think these experiments work to a certain extent but they are not busy enough to be effective. A lot of rhizomes are really busy and full of information and these don’t have the effect that I was after. They also don’t document time very well. I have tried to position the words at a height that corresponds with a date however I don’t think that this is apparent enough.
Used straight non direct lines for this one, I think this works better but it is still not busy enough. I think it is interesting but doesn’t communicate the relationships or the idea of luminosity that well and this is something that I really want to portray.
Think that potentially family tree style could work better this way I could use a key to show the relationships or just the use of lines could work. Still need to work out how dates could work.